With 2012 looming on the horizon (seriously, how and when did that happen?), I’ve started poking around the Internet for reading challenges that sound both interesting and doable. It’s important to me that they be both, because I see them as an opportunity to discover new books, meet new people, and ultimately grow this blog in the way that feeds my long-term goal of being actively involved in the online literary community.
Anyway. Committing to The Story Siren’s Debut Author Challenge was a no-brainer, especially when I consider how many of my favorite books from 2011 were debuts. (Answer: many.) Reading one per month next year should be manageable, and full challenge details are as follows.
- To read & review a minimum of twelve young adult or middle grade debut novels between the dates of January 1, 2012 – January 31, 2013.*
*The 2013 extension is so that December debuts can be read & counted toward the challenge.
RULES & GUIDELINES:
- You must have a blog to post your reviews, or be a member of Goodreads.
- Your blog must be written in English.
- Deadline to join is May 31, 2012.
- Must be a young adult or middle grade title.
- Must be the author’s YA or MG debut, released in 2012.
- If an author has a previous novel published for adults or children, they can still qualify for the challenge.
- If an author has a previously published YA or MG title, they do not qualify for the challenge.
…Are there any 2012 debuts that you’re particularly excited to read? So far, I’m most looking forward to Marissa Meyer’s Cinder, to be released January 3rd:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. [Goodreads]